"Books" ~ my everytime companion....

Over these many years, "book" has always remained a constant companion to all of us and we all must be having some bonding with books. Since childhood, I have seen people around me not only surrounded by different books but also obsessed with reading and writing books. It must be in the year 1990s, where I and my sister were taught the Jainism Philosophy by our grandmother where she had determined to get a Gujarati-English Translated books and made us understand the importance of "Samayik" and "Pratikraman" ~ (the Jain ritual of maintaining certain vows for 48 minutes and the Jain ritual of seeking forgiveness respectively). To date, we are well versed in those rituals without referring to the book because we understood the logic and the need to know the rituals. The book and her handwriting on the book gave goosebumps on this World Book Day...Books have been a priced possession - irrespective of language, interest, and genre. Being into a family of professionals and academicians, life always revolved with one principle "Read, Read, and Read so that you remain updated with the world around." (I thank my people who imbibed this quality in me)

...The journey of educational books must have started with Jr.Kg and now it revolves around the law and legal systems and it is still going on due to my professional needs of being a law academician and legal consultant and they have become the source of earning, learning (and unlearning too). But life has given some moments where the resort to books almost transformed the mindset and is still continuing to do so. Apart from educational books, I recollect fond memories of Gujarati Comic "Champak" ~ the pictorial book with stories...Aah, those were the days where I and my colony friends used to finish our school homework and read "Champak" together and solve the riddles and puzzles then. Then came an era of reading "Femina" and "Filmfare", the intelligent "Readers Digest", the news magazine(s) "Business India", "India Today", "Outlook" and even Automobile Magazine "AutoWorld", Gujarati women magazine "Chitralekha" and "Gruhsobha..These were the icing on the cake and were to be at least scrolled through along with the newspapers. To date, The Times of India is still a favorite daily read and wow, spending Sundays with reading those inspiring articles in Sunday Supplement Times Life is worth noting...

...Since then, whatever I come across like good stories, good inspiring fillers and any creative poems, I used to jot down in the notebook (it is our family only who imbibes such qualities in us) At this moment, It is 15th notebook as a collection of quotes and habit of jotting down in the notebook is still on.

...But life got a sudden jolt when Jayeshkaka was no more in this world in September 2015. When we go through such moments, it is only time who heals us and in my case, it was not only time but one book called "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle which healed me within and changed life completely. I still remember the day somewhere in 2016 January, where I was at my workplace and was feeling so much helpless with the detachment and to hide my helplessness, I went to the library and had decided that I will randomly pick a book and open a random page and whatever will be on that particular page, it will be like a hint of future by the Almighty...At this distressing moment, I randomly picked "The Power of Now" and the page which was randomly opened with closed eyes was the chapter titled "Consciousness: the Way out of Pain". Woh, that brought tears in my eyes, and I sat in the library and read the whole chapter. At that point, I decided to remember Jayeshkaka in a nicer way and the journey of learning photography started and rest is the history of "Krishyclicks" with desk calendars with inspiring quotes started coming in. During that time only, Jatinkaka had given a Gujarati book called "Bhitar nu Samarthya" (Inner strength) which gave inner courage to live life even without our loved ones.

...I am writing this because since then, I started reading philosophies and started imbibing. I am happy that these books helped me to stay courageous and lend support to my closest school friend who lost her husband leaving a four-year-old son. These two deaths have made me realized that life is nothing but a celebration of "now" moment. Since then, life has been a conscious journey throughout..Few friendships like of Ami, Rajik, Jigar and few more, have grown through these books - though different interests and of course looking up to Papaji, Maltifoi, Sunny, Gopi, Nirukaka, Bobbybhai, Shwetaben, Ashishbhai, Jatinkaka, Arun, Srishti, my younger love buds Astha and Suju, Darshanaben, Akuben, and the list can go a little bit longer... The youngest in the lot is Astha who is still in the tenth and has been reading Federer's biography being his favorite sportsperson. ooh, I have learned so many things from my own people when they share and reflect learnings from their favorite books...With mom's spiritual Jain readings helped me to discuss with her some more principles of Jainism and I started reading books of "Ratnasundarvijayji Maharaj saheb".

Recently for a year, I am fortunate to be a part of a close group reading circle called "Mindful Living" where we read and reflect on a book. Happy to be the "reader" of the group. The group is unique because we only share the interest of being more mindful during daily activities at home and at workplace. There is no discussion and no debate and it feels so good that listening to others' reflections, can also help us to grow within. At the moment we are reading the third book called "Die Empty" where the author Todd Henry mentions how to unlock the potential to the fullest edge and leave this world. The principles mentioned in this book are worth experimenting within the workplace.

With these interests in books - more inspiring and non-fiction books, I am enjoying my life with several books other than law books. Books are proven, lifelong companions for my life. I am lucky enough to have people around me who give me
"books"... Very happy to possess the favorite amongst the lot which transformed and broadened the meaning of life,

Power of Now: Eckhart Tolle
Bitar nu Samarthya
Mahavir: Gunvant Shah
Mahavir ya Mahavinash: Osho
Inner Engineering: Sadguru
Emotional Agility: Susan David
Sambandh nu Aakash: Kaajal Oza Vaidya
Heal your Life/Heal your body: Louise Hay
Samadhan: by Jain Saint
Ignited Minds: A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Mahatma Gandhi's Autobiography

I see young people reading books and I am happy when they carry a book to read apart from their studies. Digital books, Audio Books are good too, my sister sends me various digital versions and so I archive it, but I still prefer a reading hard copy, marking it with pencil and jotting down the points to ponder.. this Lockdown period has been a boon where I can read books without any time limits. Facebook is less and reading books is more these days. One of the long-awaited dreams now is to write a book and publish it (not dreaming to give the autographed book, though). I hope I can fulfill my own dream by the end of 2020 for my own self.

Can you share your favorite authors, your favorite moments with books, and how books have changed your life? I will be happy to enhance my reading list...

Thanks to all teachers who made me capable of reading, writing, and understanding the language and its nuances. Thanks to all who has inspired me to read and reflect upon. Best time ever of life when I am with my every time companion "Books"..

btw, Happy World Book Day!!! :)

Comments

  1. Happy World Book Day. Keep reading and sharing good things in society.. Waiting for your first Book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have lots of potential which you can use and also using for welfare of society by encouraging all students specially for to be positive and how to take way out of all difficulties. Very well described the journey of life along with books as a pillars. You have very good capabilities to describe all moments and also show how you came out of difficulties with help of books.positivity and Present moments is your key of success. You are born writer and have very good capabilities to describe moments in words as if readers can feel that it is happening in front of readers eyes.
    You are a good organiser and willpower to finish task completely.
    You missed your attachment with jainism by vidyapith certificate course! I wish you all the best for your activities and also take time to refresh yourself with your friends and family and always be naughty. May God bless you always 💐✅👑🙏🏿

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment